How Do I Use My United Miles Star Alliance? And Book Flight
Star Alliance is an airline partnership that coordinates frequent flier programs so that flyers can earn and redeem miles on airlines that are part of the alliance. Around 26 airlines are members of the Star Alliance, including Air Canada, Air China, Air New Zealand, Copa Airlines, Ethiopian Airlines, Lot Polish Airlines, Lufthansa Airlines, Scandinavian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways, and United Airlines to name a few airlines covering the 195 countries and over 1,200 destinations globally.
Passengers can easily redeem miles to book their flights at cheaper rates. Follow the steps shared below:
- Go to the Star Alliance website.
- Click on the Frequent Flyer option.
- Choose the Redeem option.
- Select the Book Your Award flight option.
- Click on the Visit Website button.
- You need to log in to your account.
- Check the points and award tickets available to you.
- Now, you can book flights by redeeming frequent flyer miles or points.
Reservations are subject to availability. The advantage of Star Alliance is that you can redeem the points for flights on any member airline regardless of where you have earned them.
How do you use Miles Across Star Alliance?
Star Alliance allows you to redeem the miles to book the flight or upgrade the cabin. Passengers can check individual frequent flyer account details and the Star Alliance Redemption Award chart on your frequent flyer program accessible on the website. The most used mode to redeem miles or points is to book an award ticket online or through customer support. You can call via your frequent flyer program number.
To redeem the points, you need to link your award account. If you need to connect your account with Star Alliance, follow the steps shared below:
- Sign in to your Star Alliance Rewards account.
- Click on “Use Points.”
- Choose the participating membership program you need to share points to.
- Now, link your frequent flyer account under that program to the Star Alliance Rewards account.
You don’t have a Star Alliance Rewards account, passengers need to apply for HSBC Star Alliance Credit Card. You will be shared the Star Alliance ID required to register for the Star Alliance Rewards account.
How do I claim my Star Alliance Points?
Star Alliance points are credited to your Star Alliance rewards account. It may take up to 14 days to show on your credit card statement. To claim the amount, you need to be a registered member of the frequent flyer program so that you can convert Star Alliance points into currency.
These points can be used only to make reservations with the airline or members of the Star Alliance. Moreover, you can use points to upgrade the flight. Remember, Star Alliance points can’t be transferred to another account.
How To Redeem Star Alliance Miles?
Suppose you have decided to use the earned miles to buy an award ticket. Star Alliance members can redeem the points to book a flight with any member airline, irrespective of whether they have earned them. Check the steps to Redeem Miles:
- Log In: Go to the airline to sign in using the frequent flyer program.
- Check: find the collected miles to see whether you have enough points to book a flight.
- Book: Choose 26 member airlines to redeem your frequent flyer miles or points. In case of any issues, contact the customer support for help.
How Can I Upgrade a Flight using Star Alliance Points?
Travelers with a Star Alliance Upgrade Award are permitted to pay their earned miles to book the higher cabin than the original reservation. Check the instructions before upgrading the flight:
- A ticket reservation number is required to upgrade the class to request a Star Alliance Upgrade Award via your frequent flyer membership.
- Check the website to find the miles required to pay and classes accessible to upgrade.
- The reservation needs to mention the flight number of your flight.
- Upgrade Awards aren’t available for codeshare flights. Besides, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards are not guaranteed on all flights. You need to check the terms and conditions.
- The request needs to be made at least 24 hours before the departure schedule.
Follow the simple steps to upgrade via Star Alliance points:
- Visit the website.
- Choose Book your Upgrade.
- Select the Visit website option.
- Check the chart and miles needed to upgrade a flight.
- Now, you can apply for an upgrade.
In case you have any issues, contact the customer support. Visit the website for more details.